WHO WE ARE
Current Job Openings
POSITION TITLE: AltaSea Seasonal Instructor
REPORTS TO: Education Manager
FLSA: Non-Exempt – Part time Position (~18 hours per week as needed)
DATE: April 2023
SUMMARY: Altasea at the Port of Los Angeles is seeking a Seasonal Instructor who will report directly to the Education Manager. This position will teach both in-house and externally at schools and youth organizations for AltaSea’s K-12 Project Blue education program. This position will provide educational instruction to 7-12 grade students. A passion for science, the ocean and ocean conservation is necessary. Pay is $27-$32 an hour.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: The list that follows is not intended to be comprehensive; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of the position. Incumbents may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional, position specific tasks.
DUTIES: Provide in person and occasionally virtual instruction to students K-12 in school classrooms, at afterschool youth organzations and at the AltaSea campus.
- Develop and execute education classes that demonstrate clear impact towards AltaSea’s goals of educating students for ocean sector careers. Experience teaching STEM related topics such as robotics, 3D printing and drone building.
- Work closely with the Education Manager to ensure alignment of the education programs with state content standards, relevant metrics, and workforce development programs.
- Collaborate with and convene key partners, including volunteers, nonprofits, agencies, corporate and public sector leaders and foundations to support program goals.
- Cultivate relationships with and among education and community partners, donors, and the public sector to strengthen dialogue, learning, collaboration, and action related to AltaSea’s education and workforce development strategy.
- Assist and update grantwriter with current programming and reporting.
- Represent AltaSea’s education program at internal and external meetings, convenings and conferences.
- Work with AltaSea’s Communications team to effectively communicate the impact of the education programs to internal and external stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; Classroom experience teaching STEM related subjects, robotics, 3D printing, drone building preferred.
- Direct experience in the field of education, with knowledge around education state standards and program tracking and assessment.
- Curriculum development experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- An understanding of education and job skills training issues related to underresourced communities.
- Exceptional analytical, organizational, and time-management skills.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Strong public speaking skills, adept at speaking to teachers and students.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with all organizational levels within a diverse environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint) is essential.
- Work will be performed at external locations (schools) and at the Altasea campus in a warehouse, wharf and/or floating dock setting.
- Subject to repetitive motion in typing on a computer keyboard and detailed vision in viewing computer monitor.
- The position may involve working occasional evenings and weekends.
PLEASE SUBMIT A COVER LETTER AND RESUME or FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT
Alan Hill, Education Manager, Altasea at the Port of Los Angeles. [email protected]